Tuesday, May 13, 2008

In the year Casey and Jerry were born, Mother's Day fell a couple of days after their birth. I celebrated my first Mother's Day in the hospital. On that first Mother's Day, my dear sweet husband brought me 2 long stemmed red roses....one for each baby boy. This is the way it has been for the last 30 years, on Mother's Day I get flowers....always 2 red roses in the arrangement, or corsage as we used to do, and when Ri came along, he added a pink rose. This past weekend I received a bouquet of beautiful flowers from the children and grandchildren. They arrived on Saturday, and were here waiting for me when we arrived home from our weekend away. Les had no time to get me flowers. He was in business meetings all day Saturday and then we travelled home. It was just one of those things....I really didn't think of flowers from him for Mother's Day. Sunday morning he let me sleep in while he prepared coffee and breakfast as he always does on Sundays. When I walked into the kitchen I saw another smaller bouquet on the counter. In a pretty blue glass that just shone in the sunlight coming thru the window. "What's this now? " I had to smile.....this bouquet had come from my own garden, but no matter....it had 2 large red roses, 1 large pink rose, 3 little pink roses that were also loaded with tiny buds beside. I knew about the large roses, but the little ones? He explained, " the 3 little pink roses are for Katie, Tys, and James.....the buds are for the grandbabies to come."

1 comment:

Lisa Haveman said...

awww! How sweet... I love Dad's reasonings for the little flowers and buds. We won't tell anyone he's a big softie!! :)