Monday, May 12, 2008

30 years ago today

At 12:13 and 12:15 pm today, thirty years ago, Les and I had a life changing experience. Casey and Jerry were born two months prematurely. Oh what a day that was for us....worry, anxiety, tears, and most of all fear. What was going to happen to our babies? What was going to happen to me? Would they live, would I live to see them? After they were born, they were wisked away and I didn't have an opportunity to see them for days. I didn't know what they looked like. I didn't get to hold them. I stayed in one hospital while they went to another. I rested in a darkened private hospital room hooked up to monitors regulating my blood pressure, while they lay in an incubator across town with chest tubes and no names. Twin A and Twin B. Les went back and forth, babies, wife, babies, wife...this hospital and then that one and back again. We prayed. Only thinking of the next minute, then the next day. Little did we realize what a tremendous blessing and experience this was meant to be.....then and forevermore. Adversity truly does make you strong. It was rough going at first, but after a time things got better. Casey came home first, and Jerry a month and a half later. They grew and grew and grew! Even if I am biased, I will say they were the cutest kids on the block! When I took them to the mall in their twin stroller, strangers would stop us and comment.....I couldn't get any shopping done! People will still come up to me at church and say...."and how are the twins? We prayed for them you know....we remember when they were born." So many people, so many prayers. God was very good to us that day. He blessed us with happy healthy boys who grew into Godly men, sons, husbands, fathers and brothers. In adversity the depth of our thankfullness to God increased as we leaned on Him. Our life was made fuller and richer through those trials thirty years ago. I could only think then of the next day, but now I look back and see God's goodness. Psalm 100:5 For the Lord is good and His love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CASEY AND JERRY!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

What a sweet post, it made me teary eyed.

Anonymous said...

I remember those days and how we prayed for all of you. God truly is faithful and gracious. Matt will be 30 this year too, hardly seems possible and another generation has started with him too. The photos really bring back the memories, pricious!