Friday, October 24, 2008

Here a chick there a chick everywhere a chick chick

One day after arriving home from Chicago, Les and I noticed that we were missing a chicken :/. We knew we had seen her once since we'd been home, but not lately. Rogue Chicken and Rooster were around, but not the pretty Red Hen. I think most of you know about Rogue Chicken and how she just showed up at our house one day about 4-5 years ago. Rooster is her son, and Red Hen her daughter. They're a scrappy bunch of chickens and have managed to survive on their own without much help from us! Every now and then when the weather gets colder, we throw some cracked corn out...puts a little fat on them and keeps them warm. So, back to Red Hen. She had gone missing and we feared the worst for her....coyotes abound around here, and a chicken really needs to pay attention to stay alive. Ah well, one down, two still around. Then, a couple of days ago...there she was, with a couple little surprises at her side! Awwwwwww......aren't they cute?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, since you had no comments I had to! Yes, the chicks are so cute! And I'll comment on the other two photos, Mom looks in her element crocheting, wish I could come and join you both. I think I'll pass on trying the Dulce de Calabaza, too much work. And I'm glad the field is dust free for the moment! Thanks for the call today, it was just what I needed, you give me such encouragement.